Donald J. Trump has officially been in the White Hose for 5 days now, and since he was inaugurated there has been nothing but protests and an array of upset people, and “alternative facts”. However, he is still tasked with the highest position in the land and expected to perform his presidential duties accordingly.
So…what has he done already? Glad you asked:
- ACA Rollback – Allowed all agency heads to waive requirements of the Affordable Care Act to the “maximum extent permitted by law”.
- Regulation Freeze – Froze all regulations now in process until they are approved by himself, or an agency after he took office. This extends to any regulation signed by President Obama – they are all on hold until review by the Trump’s administration
- Abortion – Ordered that all federal dollars cannot go to organizations that provide abortion services. This one is under HIGH debate.
- TPP – Enforced a memorandum that withdraws the United States from all Trans-Partnership negotiations and from signing the trade deal.
- Federal Hiring Freeze – Told agencies that they cannot fill any vacant positions nor open new ones, with military personnel and critical public safety positions being the only exception. This one is also under HIGH debate.
- Dakota Pipeline – Ordered that permits for the Dakota Access Pipeline be approved in an expedited manner, “including easements or rights-of-way to cross Federal areas.” (Army denial of an easement was previously a win for people who opposed the pipeline). In his Keystone memorandum, he invited TransCanada to resubmit its application for a pipeline permit, and he directed the State Department to issue a final decision on that application within 60 days. Did we mention this one is under HIGH debate?
What do you think? Is he off to a good start, or are we looking at a rough 4 years?